Male infertility can occur due to several factors and because of its psychological pressure on couples, this situation leaves both partners in a socially difficult situation. These sperm-based factors which prevent a man being a father are usually genetic or congenital, or due to a variety of traumas or diseases that cause it to develop later.
The problem in men can be identified by a simple semen analysis test called a spermiogram. Some of these problems can be solved with drug treatments or with standard IVF treatments. For problems like azospermia however, sperm donation is the only solution for couples.
What is Sperm Donation?
Sperm donation is a type of IVF treatment used when no healthy sperm cells can be collected from the father. Sperm cells used from the sperm bank are precisely selected according to the father’s physical characteristics, body structure, ethnicity and blood group. The egg collected from the mother is fertilised with donor sperm and transferred to the mother after embryo culture.
For many years sperm donation
treatment has been carried out successfully at Cyprus Miracle IVF by Dr. Firdevs in cases where healthy sperm cells cannot be found. In cases where sperm cannot be obtained from the father in the natural way, it is possible to obtain sperm using the TESA or micro-TESE
operations with the help of a needle or tissue retrieval. However in cases where the father has not produced sperm from birth or is completely absent of sperm due to illnesses or external factors, couples are directed to sperm donation
when they want to have a baby.
In this day and age it is possible to detect serious genetic diseases in the baby whilst in the mother's womb and terminate the pregnancy. This situation is heartbreaking and a trauma for couples. Therefore in cases where the man carries the possibility of transferring a risky disease to the baby or has genetic issues, we would also recommended this treatment as it will give peace of mind about the health of the baby.
Sperm Donation Stages
- The sperm donation treatment process starts with detailed tests completed for the couples who are to be treated at Cyprus Miracle IVF by Dr. Firdevs and continues with obtaining the physical properties of the father’s hair color, eye color, body structure and blood group etc. After that the sperm donor selection process is started. This information can be obtained by e-mail.
- On the 2nd or 3rd day of the mother’s menstural period, preparation of the mother's follicles for the treatment begins. This egg development process can be carried out in the city where the couple lives. The mother's eggs are developed using several injections and takes 10-12 days approximately. These injections only provide follicle development during that period. They have no effects such as extra weight gain or disrupting the menstrual cycle.
- The egg development process ends with a single injection called the trigger injection. This injection gets the developing eggs ready for egg collection.
- Approximately 36 hours after the trigger injection, all the follicles formed are collected by our IVF specialist Gyn. Op. Dr. Firdevs Uğuz Tip. As the egg collection process is performed under a very low dose of anesthesia, the mother does not feel any pain or discomfort. This process takes 10-15 minutes according to the number of eggs. After the procedure, the mother immediately recovers.
- Within the same hour of egg collection, the best sperm cells are selected from the donor sperm sample by our embryologists using a special microscope. Using the selected sperm cells, the mature egg cells of the mother are fertilised directly by ICSI - a microinjection method.
- After fertilisation, the embryos are left to develop within our special incubators for 3 to 5 days. Embryos may undergo this process in a table top incubator or in the EmbryoScope depending on the preference of the couple.
- The last stage of sperm donation treatment is embryo transfer. The best quality embryos are transferred to the mother's womb on the 3rd or 5th day after fertilisation. Embryo transfer is done by guided ultrasound, and is a painless process. It only takes 5-10 minutes and the mother is awake and able to follow the transfer of her babies into her womb.
As Cyprus Miracle IVF by Dr. Firdevs, we are able to transfer 3 embryos at a time and thus increase the chances of pregnancy. This way we provide an 80-85% success rate, which is higher than the world average.
Certified Donors From The World's Largest Sperm Bank
For our sperm donation treatment we work with Cryos International, Denmark which was founded in 1981. It is one of the the largest and most reliable sperm banks in the world.
Before the sperm samples are accepted by Cyros, many detailed tests are carried out and genetic and infectious diseases are screened for. Samples which cannot pass the tests are not accepted, meaning there is no question in our patients' minds that they are getting the highest quality sperm.
Sperm donors are also subjected to psychological and intelligence tests which are examined in detail by the sperm bank. Sperm of donors who cannot exceed the required degree are definitely not accepted. Therefore the training levels and intelligence levels of sperm donors are high.
At Cyprus Miracle IVF by Dr. Firdevs, we know that couples that struggle with fertiliy issues are fragile and often hide their issues, even from their family and close friends. As with any other treatment, patients choosing us for donation treatments can be assured of the strictest confidentiallity.
Treatment information is not saved so the identity of both parties is completely confidential and no third party individuals can access it.